Printed from: www.phdcareerlink.se
PhD Career Link provide specialist services in helping PhDs and Post Docs to transfer from academia to industry. By delivering creative solutions for their job search and professional development, we provide a real understanding of what is needed in order to the find a position in the business world.
Academia to Industri
PhD Career Link was founded in 2014 by Barry O'Brien after he had been helping former employees of Astra Zeneca in Sweden, developing their brands for the modern job market. Barry realised that there was a major hole in the bridge between PhD job seekers and the people doing the recruiting. So how do we fill that hole?
Helping people travel from academia into industry
Barry successfully uses a virtual team of current and former PhDs, plus marketing and branding expertise, to help PhDs and Post Docs transfer from academia to the industrial/corporate world.
Barry is well known in Sweden for helping students from Universities such as Karolinska Institutet, KTH, Stockholm University, Uppsala, Umeå and Gothenburg Chalmers with creative solutions for job search and professional development, helping them to get a real understanding of what tools they need to get in to, and survive in, the modern corporate world – mainly Personal Branding and Social Media.
Phd Career Link have worked with ambitious people from:
Barry O'Brien's Career Advice can be found on:
... I can recommend Barry as an experienced, knowledgeable, and helpful trainer, as a very motivating coach, and as an expert in professional branding.
Barry has great, proven expertise in CV writing and the professional use of LinkedIn. He quickly understood my specific situation and adapted his suggestions accordingly. Furthermore, I highly appreciate his honest and inspiring approach. I am grateful for Barry’s support and I highly recommend him to anyone seeking new insights in CV writing and the professional use of social media.
Linkedin Pop Up Workshop
Our LinkedIn Workshop is an ideal interactive feature for any career fair delivering social media coaching, personal branding development and visual entertainment.
Creating the LinkedIn Workshop Team
The start-up phase, with creating a team of ‘super users’.
- Coach 10 students to become ’super users’ of LinkedIn and be confident in sharing their knowledge with their peers/fellow students.
- Strengthen their skills in team work and organizing a whole-day-event.
- We invite the students to apply as participants in the Workshop Team. We then select 10 students who already have an active LinkedIn account and coach them for half a day to expand their knowledge and prepare them as instructors for other students.
- The team will be mentored by the coach and also work together with organizing the upcoming event.
The LinkedIn Workshop Event
The second part is the actual workshop, open for all students. The workshop should preferably take place in connection with a career fair, but we can adjust the setup if other concepts are requested.
- The Team Members will gain practical knowledge and confidence by coaching other students.
- The visitors to the event will learn how to create a strong LinkedIn profile and improve their user strategies.
- Some participants will get the opportunity to obtain a professional profile picture. This is an interesting and fun part of the event and aims to highlight the importance and benefit of quality images on LinkedIn, in particular a great profile photo.
We deliver this through
- Mentoring the team of student coaches on the day of the event as they side by side with attendees.
- We have a photographer on the team who captures a professional shot that represents their personal brand. This is a fee-free photo session available for some participants during the event.
- Delivery of the photographs taken during the event.
- Free advisory in the field for the Team Members.
- LinkedIn recommendation from Barry O’Brien for all student coaches.
CV and Letter writing Workshop
Welcome to a workshop where you learn how to write professional job applications in English together with Barry O´Brien, a CV coach and native Englishman.
You will learn:
- CV rules and design - preparing and developing the CV, essential tips and guidance.
- CV versus Resume - what's the difference?
- Why you never should translate your Swedish CV.
- Application and covering letters - what does the employer really want to know?
- How formal should your letter be?
- The workshop is six hours in total and will be split over two weeks (Maximum 10 participants).
- Advice and tips about creating the CV and letter.
- One week with homework to develop your new documents.
- The group will be split over two sessions.
- 09.00 until 12.00 session 1 and 13.00 until 16.00 session 2.
- You will present your CV and letter for group review and feedback.
This seminar (2 - 3 hours) is designed for people who have already started using LinkedIn but want to learn more. What does LinkedIn have to offer and what are the best strategies for finding a job or being found by a recruiter.
Learn how to:
- Optimise your profile to increase your visibility
- Build your network with key 'relevant' professionals
- Use advanced search to target people and organisations
- Join and participate in groups
- Understand Job seeker premium - Is it worth paying for?
Additional Seminars, Workshops and 1 to 1 coaching
- CV and Letter writing
- Interview techniques
- Social Media for job hunting
- Career Branding including LinkedIn photography days
- Writing and understanding job advertisements
- Face to Face and Online Networking
Join the Stockholm based networking group for PhDs
Who should join?
Anyone interested in the area of PhDs!
To learn more, meet people and have fun!
What can members expect out of the group?
Relaxed, central Stockholm gatherings with discussions about careers in or out of academia.
LinkedIn pop-up workshop, 19th February 2015 at Karolinska Institutet.
Read more: https://internwebben.ki.se/en/linkedin-pop-workshop-february-19
I will be happy to hear from you!
Phone: +46 (0) 7350 68683
© PhD Career Link 2015